Open GPX Tracker for iOS (with offline maps!)
Open GPX Tracker is a GPS logger for iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod) with offline map cache support. Track your location, add waypoints and send your logs by email as GPX files.
This app has no annoying time restrictions, no ads and no in-app-purchases. Create unlimited GPX traces :).
If you are goint to track without Internet… don’t worry! Just browse the area where you’ll be tracking and it will be cached.
Requires iOS 8.0 or above. Open GPX tracker is an open source app.
You can use Open GPX tracker for:
- Creating routes and waypoints for editing Open Street Map.
- Publishing Open Street Map Traces.
- Creating real GPX files for testing your iOS apps in Xcode.
- Displays tracking route in a map
- Supports Apple Map Kit, Open Street Map, Open Cycle Map and Carto DB as map sources
- Offline maps support (of browsed areas) new!
- Pause / Resume tracking
- Add waypoint to user location
- Add waypoint to any place in the map with a long press
- Edit waypoint name
- Drag & Drop waypoint pin
- Remove waypoint
- Send by email saved session (track + waypoints)
- Load on map a saved session and continue tracking
- Displays current location and altitude
- Displays tracked time
- Displays tracked distance (total and current segment)
- File sharing through iTunes new!
- Offline caching activation
- Clear chache
- Select the map.
The app is available on the App Store since May 2015.
Another option to install the app is to download the source code and compile it by yourself using Xcode. If you want to run it on a device, you also need an Apple developer account.
Download Source code
This application is written in Swift. To download the code run this command in a console:
git clone https://github.com/merlos/iOS-Open-GPX-Tracker.git
Then, to test it open the file
OpenGpxTracker.xcworkspace with XCode.
Please note the limitations of using Open Street Maps Tile Servers
Adding another tile server
Adding a tile server is easy, just edit the file
GPXTileServer.swift, uncomment the lines with
AnotherMap and modify the templateUrl to point to the new tile server.
You have a list of tile servers in Open Street Map Wiki
You can contribute by forking and submitting a pull request.
Please note that by submitting any pull request you are providing me (Juan M. Merlos) the rights to include and distribute those changes also on the binary app published on the App Store (which is released under Apple’s Standard License Agreement)
Open GPX Tracker app for iOS. Copyright (C) 2014 Juan M. Merlos (@merlos)
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.
created by Watanabe Toshinori and podified by @Pierre-Loup
Entry on the Open Street Maps Wiki