DS emulation in Augmented Reality
Turns a DS game into a holographic 3D image that floats above your controller.
- DS emulation with melonDS and @rileytestut/Delta‘s MelonDS core
- live 3D model extraction with @scurest/MelonRipper
- 3D model rendered in augmented reality using iOS RealityKit (with some help from @[email protected])
This is only a concept/prototype: in particular,
- the MelonRipper->RealityKit converter doesn’t work very well (e.g. doesn’t handle transparency)
- there’s a terrible memory leak (might be this?) that crashes the app after a few minutes
- only tested with the camera position used by Mario Kart DS.
- (for example, Pokemon Black and HeartGold use a different camera angle, and I had to remove the shader that crops the model for anything to show up)
- no way to select rom/touchscreen input/etc. The ROM name is hardcoded to “rom.nds” in the app’s folder in Files/iTunes.